(1) Chancel Arch
The chancel arch dates from Norman times and is in fine condition, with decoration from the late 12th Century. The arch itself is semicircular, of three orders of various designs supported by shafts which contain rare carvings: on the south side a snake and on the north side a pelican, Christian symbol of sacrifice.
(2) Duchess Dudley Memorial
Perhaps the most remarkable monument in the church is found on the north side of the chancel, and is to Alice, Duchess Dudley and her daughter Alicia. In black and white marble, it has their two recumbent figures lying in shrouds, with trumpeting cherubs holding back curtains. Find out more about the memorial
(3) Leigh Chapel
Although the vestry on the south side of the church had already been created as a family vault for the Leigh Family in 1665, in the 19th century they decided to build a new mausoleum. From plans by C. S. Smith, it contains many extremely fine memorials.
(4) The Georgian Box Pews and the Benefaction Boards
The box pews date from 1821-6 when the church underwent a decade of alterations. They are of oak from the Stoneleigh estate. At the same time the gallery was installed and the organ. Placed upon it is the Royal Coat of Arms dating from the early 19th century together with six panels giving details of a variety of charitable benefactions, the earliest dating from the 16th century establishment of the village almshouses. Find out more about the history of the organ.
This is a rare example of late 12th century work, with arcading featuring the twelve Apostles. Stylistically it is influenced by 10th century manuscripts. Made of limestone rather than the local sandstone, it is thought to have come from Maxstoke Priory in North Warwickshire. Wherever its origin, it was brought to the church and positioned here by the Leigh Family in the 19th century. It has been described by experts in the field as one of the finest of this date in the country.
(6) Hatchments and Memorials
Around the walls of you will see the church contains a number of other important monuments and memorials, largely to members of the Leigh family. There are also nine hatchments, which is the second highest number in Warwickshire. A hatchment commemorates the death of a person via their personal heraldry. Ours are all to the Leigh Family. These create an unusual historic feature in the story of the church and its “presiding” family.
(7) Outside – the North Door
Externally on the north wall you can see the blocked up 12th century doorway. This was filled in during the 14th century when the north wall of the nave was almost entirely rebuilt. Within its Norman arch, is a tympanum with two interlocked dragons biting their tails, and two interlocked snakes.